Monday, April 24, 2006

Josh Ritter @ Southgate House, Newport KY 4/23/06

If you remember the interview I did with Josh Ritter, then you'll remember how talented of a musician and nice of a guy he is. Shortly following the interview, Mr. Ritter was so kind as to get me on the guestlist for his show at the Southgate House. Since obsessively listening to his latest CD and having seen him at Bonnaroo, I was very stoked to see him live with new music and acting as the headlining act.

In short, the show was amazing. Like always, Josh was extremely excited to be performing in front of people and couldn't stop smiling. He told a many jokes as well as stories about various songs and life experiences. Who knew that if you install a doorbell incorrectly that it can kill someone? Or so he claimed. He was (almost) too appreciative of the audience that came to see him and played his heart out. I got a chance to hang out with him after the show for a little bit and realized that he is (one of the) neatest people I have ever met. He said he is going to log on to the site and comment on some posts. We'll see what happens; if you get a chance I urge you to go see Josh Ritter!

Posted below are some pictures from the show at the Southgate House. The lighting, for some reason, was extremely dark that night so some of my pictures are dim and not the best of quality. Be sure to click "Continue Reading" for some more pics!




The concert was unforgettable, for a few reasons. First off, I had lost my wallet earlier that day and was searching for a solid hour or two attempting to find it. Since I was on the guestlist, I wasn't too concerned if I couldn't find it before I left. No big deal, right? We arrive at the Southgate House and make our way to the front of the (rather long) entrance line. I tell the lady my name, only so she can't find it on the list. This is fantastic, right? I tried to tell her that I had interviewed Josh a few weeks back, his agent put me on the list, etc. She wasn't buying a single word of it, despite my honest-to-God demeanor.

What does a blogger do? He gathers the balls to call Josh Ritter (since I had his number still stored in my phone) and tell him of my complications. To my surprise (and embarrassment) he answered. I told him what had happened and he apologized over and over about the problem and that he was going to send someone up from backstage to get me in. His tour manager comes up and resolves the problem, much to his own displeasure, and leaves once we get checked in. To top it all off, the security guard asks for my ID. He wouldn't let me in without an ID.

Enter: lost wallet.

Now this guy was skinnier than me, shorter than me, and looked so greasy I often wondered if his name was Lee and that he was a chicken master. Despite my arguing, facial hair, family resemblence to my little sister (who just turned 18), 2 vouching friends, and being on the gueslist.. This guy was like the Berlin Wall of non-intimidating security guards. I was forced to call my mom who was kind enough to bring me my wallet (which she had found under a stack of "submitted to iGIF" material...Go figure!) and I finally got in after the bastard read every line on the license from my eye color to who the country clerk was. Asshole.

I swear, between my dorm catching on fire and that concert experience.. I have the worst karma.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home